Tuesday, December 11, 2012

How do I explain childhood?

How do I explain unexplainable things?  One morning on the way to school, Big Brother Badger could not stop talking about growing up.  He wanted to be big.  He was tired of school and definitely did not want to have naps anymore; he did not like being told what to do.  I told him, "Baby, appreciate being a child.  Childhood is such a wonderful time!"  Those words went in one ear and out the other.  I understand that there is the problem of context for a youngster.  There are some concepts, like gratitude, like the passage of time, like depth of love, like the freedom of being a child, that are realized through life experience and, perhaps, some hardship.  But I also feel as though I needed to attempt an explanation, even if he doesn't realize what I mean until much later.

My Mom has a saying, "Don't wish your life away."  She says it whenever I'm waiting excitedly for a holiday or party, and also whenever I'm trying to get past a difficult experience.  Don't wish time to move any faster.  Don't take any second for granted, even if it's hard.  She would say this, and I would roll my eyes, but, as I got older, I know what she meant.  The understanding came after the words had sunk in.
 
How do I explain childhood?  At least, the relatively easy childhood of the Little Badgers?  How do I tell them how wonderful it is to be able to have a nap in the middle of the day, to have snacks and toys, to have a loving family, and the freedom to play and imagine, to not have burdensome responsibilities and expectations?  Now that I write this, I worry that I am projecting my subtle jealousy; my awareness of some of the limitations of being an adult, and how good I had it as a child.  I recognize that to truly understand concepts such as gratitude, and love, you must also understand the opposite sides of the coin: ungratefulness, willful dispassion, anger, fear, feeling alone, feeling trapped.

I think that the answer is simply, I can't explain childhood.  Even if I were a gifted orator, or a clever teacher and could use words as a paintbrush, there are some things that simply cannot be understood if the context is lacking.  Nevertheless, I think I'll keep repeating, "Appreciate being a child", "Don't wish your life away", "I love you as much as a mommy can love", so that the words are there for him when he can understand.  And he'll know that I understand, too.



Note: "I love you as much as a mommy can love" is from "I Love You As Much..." by Laura Krauss Melmed, a beautiful book that is one of my favorites to read to my children, but makes me cry every time.

4 comments:

  1. Your mom sounds a lot like mine. She always has a very wise but very simple piece of advice to give that makes me see another perspective. I love your mantras, too. Another wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kathy, thanks so much for reading! Yes, her sayings are simple and wise...and still take me years to really figure out! D'oh! I imagine that's the fate of all mothers who know what they're talking about? - Laura

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12/12/2012

    Mothers continue to learn from their daughters who are also wise and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete