Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I'm on board!

Well, the new year is upon us, and many changes have happened in the River Badger household that make the turn of the calendar noteworthy already.  I'd like to think that there are a few more changes coming.  Like me losing that extra 20 pounds that have been hanging around for a while.  This is not ground-breaking, I have to admit; lots of people are starting fresh when it comes to fitness this time of year.  But here's the thing.  I'm a little reluctant when it comes to something lots of other people are doing.  I've never shopped on Black Friday.  I've never taken a cruise.  I've never been to Disney World.  One could see me as being weird and missing out on a bunch of fun stuff, but there it is.

So when it came time for New Year's Resolutions to be presented, and I took a hard look at the extra junk clustered around my mid-section, I realized that I was going to have to jump on board at the same time as everyone else.  I was going to be "losing weight for New Year's".  Ugh.  The thought of going to the gym for the first time on January 2nd filled me with dread.  The lady at the desk will smirk at me.  She will assume I will go for three weeks and then quit, only to show up again next year.  And the worst thing is, she is probably right; the odds are not in my favor.  A feature on the news that said only a small percentage of resolutions last even until March.  And sticking to a diet?  For me it's not so much a fear of failure, but it's more like an expectation.  What's the saying?  Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result... .

But, you know, I do need to get in shape.  I really do.  My excuse over the past few years has been that I'm either pregnant or breast-feeding, but now I'm not doing either of those things.  I want to be attractive to my husband, and to fit into all my clothes, even the ones in the back of the closet.  I want to set a good example for my children.

So, I will be venturing to the gym.  I will join the folks looking for a new start.  I will brave the eye-rolling from the people who are bad-ass enough to have been going for years, as well as the smirks from the smarty-pants who thought that starting on Dec. 28th makes them regulars already.  I think I'm going to follow a very simple diet I just made up.  It's called, "It's the junk, stupid!"  I will not eat crap (Snap, McDonald's!), I will limit my portions, and I will not hit the chocolate after 7PM.  I will keep a food diary.  I'm no nutritionist, but I have to start somewhere.  I have the willpower somewhere inside me.  I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness girl, you said word for word what I am experiencing right now! I have never had to diet in my life, and now I find myself with an extra twenty pounds. Although, I have tried keeping a food diary, and that lasts about a day and a half because I get so busy with the kids I forget to write it down. My biggest things are staying up too late and then noshing because i am so tired, and not getting enough exercise. Okay, let's do this thing! Let's make it past three weeks!! Go Badgers and Frogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/07/2013

    I agree food diaries are a pain usually but they work. I recommend the MyFitnessPal app for your smart phone. You put in your vital stats and goals and it determines how many calories you should eat.

    Nothing revolutionary or new but it is SO EASY. I've been using it for a while and it really makes me think a little more about what I put into my mouth every day. When you get to dinner and only have 200 calories left on your total for the day, you have to think about whether you eat lettuce with no dressing or you get off your butt and do some exercise to earn some more calories for a decent meal. Mindfulness- it works!

    By the way- I have no association with the company that makes the app whatsoever. Just a satisfied user.

    ReplyDelete