Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Hey, who wants to sell me some class?

I am not a yummy mummy.  I am a fleece-wearing, sneaker-sporting, jeans-rocking, hair-in-a-ponytail, maybe-some-mascara Mama.  I still practice what my mother told me when I was eighteen, that I don't need to wear foundation every day because I'm young.  Yeah, that was a loooong time ago, but presently convenient.  It's not that I don't enjoy using products, dressing up and blow-drying my hair, it's that I think I'm too lazy for a regimen.  There, I'll admit it!  But, I occasionally do get bored, or my little ones have dumped my make-up in the toilet, so every few months I'll revamp my beauty routine (translation: skip out to Target after the kids go to bed and buy a bunch of stuff) and experiment a little.  Here's how my last trip went... .

I walk in with a list of things that I'm convinced will make me gorgeous.  Make-up, moisturizer, eye cream, nail polish, night cream.  They have to catch my eye quickly, as I've only got 45 minutes to browse.  I won't buy products advertised by celebrities I don't like.  I do like Jennifer Garner!  She is pretty!  And relatable!  Foundation, check!  I'll choose eye shadow based on the instructions given on the back.  Does it tell me how to apply it?  Yes!  Check!  Moisturizer is based on sun protection and lack of chemicals.  If the ingredients list is pretty straightforward, check!  Now, eye cream and night cream are a little harder.  I think I might need the chemicals here.  After all, these products are essential non-essentials.  They promise a lot, and if I remember to apply them, I might see a difference!  Nail polish is the most fun.  My hands are weird-they look very strange with dark-colored polish.  Also, dark colors show chips.  Okay, so pale shades....and without formaldehyde (!)...and, ooh, this one will help my nails grow faster!  Check!  I am now decked out.  I'm sure this is how Jennifer Garner shops, too.  10 minutes to spare!  Let's look at lipstick!  Somehow, this Target does not have security guards patrolling the make-up section because it is very hard to find a lipstick that has not been opened and "tested".  Maybe I'll skip the lipstick.

Okay, I'm home.  Little Badgers are asleep and husband is watching TV, so I sneak upstairs and put on products.  I do my nails.  I am pretty much Jennifer Garner, except that I cannot pull off the bangs.  I sashay downstairs and bat my eyelashes at Daddy River Badger.  He's mildly interested and says something very nice and sweet.  So I ask, "Hey, honey, don't you like it when I get all dolled up?".  And he replies, "Babe, if it makes you feel good about yourself, and you smile and are happy, then that's what I like.".  Hmmm, maybe I won't tell him how much I spent.

So this was news to me.  Do I look my best when I'm happy?  No products or regimen needed?  This makes me feel a little better about my (lack of) everyday personal style.  But, then, why the impulse to buy "stuff" every now and then?  I suppose there's a deep-down feeling that I need to be trying harder.  There's a romantic notion I have that a put-together lady has a consistent beauty regimen honed over years of practice, faithful and true to a selection of products.  My mother is such a lady.  But, you know, maybe if being happy is what makes my eyes sparkle, and happiness partly comes from an impromptu trip to the make-up section where I can browse and play and escape...well, then I guess I should just go with what works for me.  After all, my better half thinks I'm pretty cute with just a smile, and I should have confidence in that.  With a touch of mascara thrown in, of course.  It's usually on sale.

1 comment:

  1. I am a total girly girl. I love products and makeup and getting all dolled up. It makes me feel better for sure and I am happier. I know Hubby loves me no matter what state I'm in, but it's always nice to hear him say, "You look hot!"

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete