Friday, November 23, 2012

Giving Thanks with Little Badgers

The River Badger clan traveled for Thanksgiving this year.  Not too far, but still a significant trek for three small children.  We have the one-night travel packing routine down pat: we've got one large suitcase that's filled with kids' clothes, diapers, lotion, jammies, toys, a couple of books, blankets, and (in the bit of room that's left) maybe an outfit for Mommy and Daddy and some deodorant.  The kids got into the car with one toy each (a truck, a lizard, and the pink poodle), and Baby got a bottle of milk.  We're lucky and all three fell asleep pretty quickly so Mommy could run into the Wawa and get the super-jumbo diet coke.  Then it's to Grandmother's house we go!

I love going to Daddy River Badger's parents' house for holidays.  It is always warm, inviting, smells good, and is well-stocked with wine.  When we arrived this year, the kids ran to greet their cousins.  Big Brother Badger hugged his cousin tightly for a whole minute-they've been best friends since birth.  Family is so important.  I tell the Little Badgers that it is most important-something to be grateful for.  One thing about being a Mommy is that I am grateful every day.  I have moments where I practically fall on my knees from gratitude.  I have other moments where gratitude is something I think about quickly, as the day flies past.  On Thanksgiving, I want my children to think about being grateful for all the good things they have in their lives.  Their loving family, their toys, their cat.  Going to karate class and swim lessons and play dates.  On this day especially, I want them to learn about being thankful.  But, this is easier said than done.

The family sat down to dinner, and what a dinner it was!  Grammy Badger outdid herself with a beautiful turkey and six pies.  But even saying the blessing had to be done quickly with small kids under five.  Any contemplation of gratitude had to be done in between passing the gravy and cleaning up where Baby had flung her mashed potatoes.  After dinner, kids were running, laughing, watching movies, playing outside, going to the playground.  Was I grateful?  Yes.  Were they grateful?  Well, they were for the cookies and the pie.  I know that it is a stretch to think that I can force a lesson on them.  It's enough on a daily basis for them to say "thank you" for a cup of milk.  And they are so young.  Heck, I didn't even think much about gratitude myself until I had kids.  I guess I didn't know what I had to lose until I had kids.  To list everything I am thankful for would go on for a while.  Every Mommy's list would.  Every day we learn and love and say a thank you to the powers that be.  We hope that our kids appreciate what they have.

Well, Thanksgiving night wrapped up with three happy Little Badgers tucked into bed, cuddling toys and sleeping peacefully.  They said "thank you" for their milk, and to their Grammy for their dinner.  They said the words, at least, and I think that is enough.

The following morning we headed home.  We packed up the kids, the milk, the truck, the lizard, and the poodle, and picked up the super-sized diet coke.  On the road, before falling asleep, the Boy Badgers talked about the day before, and how much fun they had.  They remembered the cookies, the pie, and the DVDs, but also playing with their cousins, hugging their Grammy, being together.  Even if they didn't know to say it, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. "I didn't even think much about gratitude myself until I had kids. I guess I didn't know what I had to lose until I had kids." So true!!

    Your posts always make me smile, and this one did especially. I can just see the caravan of the three kids with the truck, the lizard, and the poodle. And how, I wonder, does Mommy drink such a huge Diet Coke and not have to pee every ten miles??

    So glad you had such a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sip and share with DRB. :) That poodle will be the subject of a future post. Baby carries it around everywhere, and I hope she doesn't spill too much on it as it is only surface-washable. We had a good day, and I ate way too much! Hope your holiday was fun, too! - Laura

      Delete