Thursday, October 18, 2012

Daddies and Mommies

So, I was driving the Little Badgers home from school today and was answering a question about how long babies are in a Mommy's belly when Little Brother Badger interrupted with, "Mommy, I love Daddy and I was in HIS belly".  Hmmm....not how I remember it!  But, he's in a total "Daddy's boy" phase right now, and it's all good.

But then I got to thinking about Daddies and Mommies, and whether I should be upset that my little boy felt happy that he grew in Daddy's belly instead of mine.  I'm the Mommy, for goodness sake!  I'm the nurturer and the Rock of the Family!  I thought of a comment I heard from a nurse while visiting my Niece Badgers.  She had been describing breast-feeding to my sister, and how you're up every two to three hours, and have sore nipples, and usually have to pump as well as feed, etc., etc. and she said dismissively, "No man would ever deal with all this!".

Well, I know one man who would.

This really isn't to brag, because I mostly married him for his good looks, ability to handle a stick shift, and love of cheap beer and sports.  I got lucky.  And my kids got lucky.  But I feel bad for him, and for guys like him, when the cheap shots are flying, and most other men are happy to bring up the rear.  Just as we ladies try to tread delicately when it come to generalizations about parenting, maybe we should be more careful about generalizations about men.

I am proud that my son thinks of his Daddy as nurturing and strong, and comforting.  So much so that he sees it as natural that he would grow in Daddy's belly!  I am only slightly annoyed when my husband's cooking, organizing, and parenting abilities are roundly praised by the Grandmothers.  I am soothed by the knowledge that if I were to get eaten by a hungry rhino (thanks, Roald Dahl), Daddy Badger would be able to hold down the fort with competence and love and sensitivity.

Here's to the good ones!    

No comments:

Post a Comment