Saturday, January 12, 2013

Splash!

There are some activities that strongly defined portions of my childhood.  One of these was being on the swim team.  I started at the local YMCA and was so excited to be jumping in the water and trying my first team sport.  I loved the pretty ribbons won at meets, the new friends, the feeling of excitement before a race.  I look back on the memories and smile.  I remember the hot dogs and sodas after meets, my parents' shock at the almost-immodest racing suits, how I got so angry at my third grade teacher for confiscating one of my swimming magazines in class, how I thought Janet Evans was the coolest girl in the world.  I would say I was a slightly above average swimmer.  A coach at a summer swim clinic said that I could probably be a decent college athlete, if I gave it my all.  But, over time, I started to lose interest.  I was not inspired by the two-a-day practices, my middle-of-the-road performances, or the time away from other activities, such as practicing my harp.  I quit before high school.

I swam off and on for fitness through college and grad school.  I always liked the power of stroking through the water, and the feeling of utter exhaustion after a good workout.  But, as always, life seemed to pop back in and I would fade back out of the pool.  Then, it was baby, baby, baby.  I never swam while pregnant; I guess I never wanted to spend the money on a maternity suit.  I flirted with the idea of training for a triathlon while participating in Team in Training, but settled on a marathon program because I didn't have a bike.  But, as fulfilling and sweat-inducing as running is, it always felt forced for me.  I definitely didn't feel good at it.

This morning I ventured to the local rec center for a training session in the pool.  This was a real training session with a coach and everything.  I hadn't had a coach since my old swim team days, and was curious as to what I could learn, and if the old motivation and love was anywhere to be found.

I walked out onto the pool deck with some trepidation, my familiar demon of insecurity back on my shoulder.  I was nervous, and a little intimidated.  I hadn't worked with a clock, or in sets, or really with other swimmers since I was a child.  My whole self, both mentally and physically, had changed.  I breathed a sigh of relief when the other swimmers were women just like myself, thirty-something, not in perfect shape, friendly.  I relaxed even more when I met the coach, an approachable lady who was excited to work with us.  For some reason, I had been picturing a cadre of svelte, snobby men in Speedos.

We jumped in (actually, a couple women dove in) and started our warm-up.  Eight laps, freestyle.  I felt more at home in the water than on an exercise bike or on the treadmill.  I felt smooth.  I passed the other swimmers easily, and when I finished well ahead of everyone, the coach looked surprised.  She gave me an extra set.  I felt strong.  As the practice continued, the old competitive spirit welled up, and I was happy to throw myself into the workout.  I kicked until my legs burned, my strokes long, and my pace consistent.  I challenged myself, and was happy to see the approval and encouragement of the coach.  I did not hold myself back to fit in, I did not worry about messing up, I did not spend the whole time sucking in my stomach and crossing my arms in front of my chest.

I know that this was just a training session, but it meant more than that to me.  It was hopefully a kick-start back into confidence in exercise.  It held just enough nostalgia and old feelings to seem attractively familiar.  It was fun again, and I felt like I was good.  I can't wait to get back in the pool next week.  I can't wait to see where this goes.  I wrote a speech for a competition back in middle school about swimming.  At the time, I was in love with swimming, and gave a passionate presentation.  One of the lines was something like, "No matter how old you are, from 5 to 105, swimming is a great way to have fun, and stay fit."  Well, I think I'll take that advice.  I'm sure Janet Evans would approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment