Thursday, January 24, 2013

My orders are to bring milk. In a sippy cup.

I know it.  Daddy River Badger knows it.  The Little Badgers especially know it.  Mommy is a sucker. Want an extra cup of milk?  Ask Mommy.  Too tired to pick up your sock from directly under your chair?  Complain to Mommy.  Got a craving for an animal cracker 15 minutes before dinner?  Mommy's the go-to.  I have to say I didn't come to this after any prior planning on my part; I never set out to be the push-over parent.  All I know is that when those little arms reach up for me, big eyes wide open and wet with tears, little empty tummy growling, I kinda lose my resolve and give in.

 This is not something I take lightly.  I know that it causes tension in my marriage, and can set up for some serious parent-kid confrontations down the road.  I don't want to raise selfish children.  And from DRB's point-of-view, it's no fun being the "bad guy" every time.  Daddy won't allow a sippy cup anymore.  Daddy says just one book.  Daddy will only give out apples for snacks.  Daddy wants his bed back after eight months of co-sleeping.

I think some of that latent frustration came out this morning.  I had gone out to a doctor's visit that was supposed to take all of 45 minutes, and ended up being gone for two-and-a-half hours (waiting, waiting, waiting).  DRB was left in charge of the Little Badgers.  When I walked in the door, I could tell that something was different.  DRB greeted me with the pronouncement that Little Brother Badger had been denied his treasured sippy cup in favor of the big boy variety and Baby had not had her customary bottle of milk.  This seemed to be a slightly passive aggressive way of letting me know that I had been relenting a little too much; these were both steps that we had discussed.  We both know that a three-year-old should be using a regular cup.  Our growing toddler should not be relying on a bottle.  But these things are for comfort, which tugs at my Mommy-heart-strings a bit.

It must be noted that I am not a complete softie.  I inevitably send kids to the "naughty chair" several times a day, I place a high value on respectful behavior, and I have been known to startle my niece and nephew with my "authority" voice (Auntie is more graceful).  But, I see the value in small, childish things.  Baby treasures her bottle as she falls asleep, and when she awakens.  It comforts her.  Little Brother Badger will hold his sippy cup in one hand and twirl his hair in the other.  It comforts him.  I rely on these calming things to get the children through stressful situations like running late during errands, a long car ride, or if they're scared by something.  And, from experience, I know that babyhood habits run their course almost naturally.  Situations change, rituals change, and suddenly things are different.  A sippy cup gives way to a big boy cup as a child emulates his big brother.  A bottle becomes unnecessary as a baby becomes a little girl.  Why rush?

As well-meaning as Daddy River Badger is, I could see that the transition this morning was a little too fast for the Littlest Badgers.  Or maybe I could feel it.  I think that with discipline, and structure, there needs to be a little gentleness too.  Or maybe I'm just a sucker.


4 comments:

  1. Mama, you are so right! I am also what you describe as a "softie" although I call it gentle parenting. I don't rush my kids from milestone to milestone, and for those things like weaning from binky's, bottles, nursing, blankie's, or sippy cups...I do it gradually setting some boundries or rules as to when these things can be done; I never just cut them off cold turkey. My mother is very old school and used to tell me that I was spoiling them, or that I was being too lenient...however I can assure you that my 17 year old is no longer sucking on a binky, drinking out of a bottle or sippy cup, or pooping his pants! Growing up will come in due time, no need to rush it. Not only that, I find that my children are more secure because they know that mommy is in tune with what they're feeling, that she listens to them, and that she can be counted on as a support system. That security over your relationship with them will carry over into their teen years and make for an even better teen/parent relationship, as they will be more inclined to come to you for support when they have a problem! You're doing a great job.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading! Oh, I hope it will carry over to the teen years. I am worrying about that already. - Laura

      Delete
  2. I will be the first to admit I'm a pushover, softie - whatever you want to call me, I'm it! I want my kids to be happy and comfortable and feel loved. Is that so bad? I think it makes my Hubby feel bad when they want me over him; but eh, pretty soon they'll want to pal around with Dad and forget all about me. It evens out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never! Mommy is the one who buys Pizza Rolls after school! :) - Laura

      Delete