Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What's your power?

The Boy Badgers are into superheroes, like Batman, Superman and Spiderman.  I'm not sure how much of the backstories they understand, but they like the cool capes, car, and webs, and they like the idea of the good guys coming out on top.  However, any superpowers that these guys have are equivalent in Badger eyes to a cheetah's speed, or a blue whale's size, or a lizard's ability to camouflage itself.  Which got me thinking, what "powers" do any of us regular folks have?  Powers that we ourselves perceive to be just business as usual, but to someone else would be mind-boggling.

For example, one of my weaknesses is to stuff my face at dinnertime.  That's when the munchies hit for me, and they hit with a vengeance.  Daddy River Badger has an amazing superpower (see, it's all relative!) to eat with moderation, no matter how hungry or stressed he is.  Another example has to do with kindness.  I struggle with being overly critical.  My sister-in-law is amazingly kind.  She has never said a bad word about anyone, and I consider that a superpower, for sure.  My Mom has a superpower of empathy towards animals.  Animals gravitate to her, and she cares for them as kindred spirits.  I worry about my tendency towards selfishness.  My mother-in-law has the superpower of generosity.  She is generous with her time and her love, no matter how tired she is, or where a person comes from.  Once you enter her house, you are treated as family. 

Each of these powers may not seem as jaw-dropping as shooting webs and swinging from high buildings, or as awe-inspiring as the the wingspan of a pteranodon.  They are also probably not anything special to the people who possess them, but to someone else they are amazing.

So, look in the mirror tonight and think about what your powers are.  Each of us has something to offer.  Kindness, generosity, self-discipline, physical ability, empathy, a talent for words or art, unconditional love.  I think my superpower lies somewhere in how much I love my kids.  What's yours?

1 comment:

  1. Yours is an interesting question. When my son, Joey was sick, and after he died, people would always tell me I had such strength and grace. I heard many times that another person wouldn't be able to handle it. My response was always the same, "You could do it if it were your child." I didn't see it as any "special power" but others certainly did.

    ReplyDelete